Can wellevate℠ accept HSA/FSA cards?
Yes! We want to ensure all of your patients have access to professional-quality healthcare products, so we allowed wellevate℠ to accept HSA/FSA cards. Your patients can start using this payment method once you have updated your Stripe account to reflect your eligibility to accept these types of cards.
How can I update my Stripe account to accept HSA/FSA cards?
HSA and FSA cards require that your business have a special classification (called a Merchant Category Code, or MCC) set so that the credit card companies that know your products and services are directly related to a patient’s medical needs. The types of eligible providers are defined by the IRS, but include most healthcare provider types.
Send the following message to the Stripe support team to enable acceptance of HSA/FSA cards:
I’d like to add an MCC code as a healthcare practitioner to my Stripe account for my wellevate℠ connection. wellevate℠ is software that fulfills my vitamin and supplement prescriptions for my patients. This is an FSA/HSA eligible category.
Please advise how I can go about making this update.
It generally takes 24 hours to complete this process.
Please note that just because an account is enabled to accept HSA or FSA payments doesn’t guarantee a card will be accepted. Card issuers are still at liberty to authorize or decline any payment as they would with any other type of credit card.
Whether or not purchases through wellevate℠ are HSA/FSA eligible depends on a number of factors. Please remind your patients that they will need to ensure that their purchase is HSA/FSA eligible. We recommend referring them to their health insurance providers if they have any specific questions.
How can I find out if my practice can accept HSA/FSA payments?
It varies; here is a list of MCC codes that may be relevant to your practice:
- 4119: Ambulance Services
- 5047: Dental/Lab/Medical/Ophthalmic Hospital Equipment & Supplies
- 5122: Drugs, Drug Proprietaries, and Druggist Sundries
- 5912: Drug Stores, Pharmacies
- 5975: Hearing Aids Sales, Service, and Supply Stores
- 5976: Orthopedic Goods, Artificial Limb Stores
- 7277: Debt, Marriage, and Personal Counseling Service*
- 8011: Doctors Not Elsewhere Classified
- 8021: Dentists, Orthodontists
- 8031: Osteopathic Physicians
- 8041: Chiropractors
- 8042: Optometrists, Ophthalmologists
- 8043: Opticians, Optical Goods, and Eyeglasses
- 8049: Chiropodists, Podiatrists
- 8050: Nursing and Personal Care Facilities
- 8062: Hospitals
- 8071: Dental and Medical Laboratories
- 8099: Health Practitioners, Medical Services Not Elsewhere Classified
Who is eligible for a Merchant Category Code (MCC) classification?
Providers and businesses who meet eligibility requirements as one of the types of businesses described above. If you have any questions about your eligibility to obtain an MCC classification, please consult with your tax advisor.
How can I get a Merchant Category Code (MCC) classification?
An MCC code can be assigned to your payment processor upon your request.